Thursday 29 November 2012

If you're a geek... get in the kitchen!

I mean no disrespect to all those hackers, programmers, engineers, gamers, techies, and nerds collectively known as "geeks", for the sake of writing the word geek just makes things easier - I even married one!

I grew up in the kitchen helping my mother cook.  We were very close, and it was time I had to myself with her as neither of my siblings wanted to be involved in food preparation.  It also had the added benefit of not having to do the washing up afterwards!  In our house, if you helped cook the meal, your "compensation" was not having to wash up.  That time spent in the kitchen with my mother gave me a love and understanding of food which led me to become a Clinical Nutritionist, and dedicate my life to improving people's health through food.

To my husband's credit, he has recently begun to venture into the kitchen and not just to route out a Diet Coke or packet of biscuits.  He can now cook 2 recipes; paella and pasta with tomato sauce - we're getting somewhere!

Geeks are portrayed, in general, as fairly unhealthy beings.  They spend endless hours everyday (and most of the night) in front of a computer screen surviving on Red Bull, popcorn and pizza.  General opinion would have us mere mortals believe that a geek wouldn't know how to find the kitchen let alone cook in it.  But what if I told you cooking "has the same types of hard constraints that code, hardware, and most science disciplines do?" (Jeff Potter).

Geeks are extremely intelligent, creative people, so why not apply that creativity and intelligence to improving health through a balanced, healthy eating regime?

In 2010, Jeff Potter published his book "Cooking for Geeks".  Which leads any self-deserving geek into the kitchen to discover a whole new world which isn't as terrifying or boring as it may seem to someone who doesn't cook.

To the non geek (like me), this book is both surprising and interesting and looks a lot like a user manual for a piece of hardware!  Jeff Potter presents the art of cooking from a Geek mindset, with chapters such as; Hello Kitchen! (calibrating your instruments, kitchen organizing...), Choosing your Inputs: Flavors and Ingredients (different tastes and combinations), Time and Temperature, Cooking's Primary Variables, Playing with Chemicals and Fun with Hardware.

It is also packed full of interesting tasty recipes, practical tips on how to do things and different types of measurements (explained in geekspeak) and it even tells you how to cook a whole salmon in the dishwasher!  Yes, you heard me correctly, in the dishwasher!  It is all presented from a very scientific point of view, explaining different cooking methods and how to choose your ingredients, the different seasonal foods and lots of interesting interviews with fellow geeks such as Adam Savage.  It will teach you to cook for one or to cook for others and the different cuts of meat - absolutely everything someone who has never cooked before needs to know.  So there really is no excuse to not spice up your life and become healthier through Cooking for Geeks.

The Skillet-Fried Potatoes sound delicious not to mention the Mean Chocolate Chip Cookie!  I shall leave you to discover the rest!

So here is my challenge.  I challenge all of you geeks out there to get in the kitchen - then send me your favorite recipes.

You can find out more on:

www.cookingforgeeks.com

Or follow on Twitter @cookingforgeeks using #c4g for general discussion

One of the book's suggestions is @cookbook Maureen Evans posts recipes on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment