Thursday 12 November 2015

Holding back the years

When I was a child it felt like Christmas took forever to come, when I was in my early 20s I smoked, ate all the wrong things and danced all night and being "an adult" seemed like a long way off.  To be honest, even now I still don't feel like an adult.

But life goes on and things happen that change your way of thinking and living.  I wish I could say that my mother's death changed me for the better, and maybe it did - later... But at the time it pushed me even further off the deep end.

However, what really changed me was becoming a mother.  I know it sounds like the typical thing that every mother says, and it probably is, because all of a sudden there is the deepest most profound love and longing to see what this baby will grow up into.  I have this strong desire to live as long and as healthily as possible to see what my children do with their lives.

Today's society is very orientated towards modern medicine and taking medication for any "age-related ailment" that might befall us; high cholesterol, osteoporosis, arthritis, etc..  But what if you could ward off those ailments?

I strongly believe that the more we look after ourselves when we are young then the better we will age.  The lifestyles we lead are so very important, and no, I'm not talking about how much money you have, or the make of car you drive, or how many holidays you have every year.

I'm talking about healthy living.  Forming and maintaining healthy habits as early as possible in life in order to prevent disease and live a longer and healthier life.

It is so easy to base your daily life on a healthy one which will enable you to be healthy and therefore to enjoy your life, love and family much more fully and it doesn't take much at all.

Here are 5 healthy habits you can develop at any age - but the sooner the better:

1.  Meditation.  Learning to meditate is not at all easy, it takes time and dedication, but the benefits are limitless.  Quietening the mind everyday for a while brings stress relief, better sleep, better relationships with those around you and even more thought clarity.  People who meditate every day are found to be much happier.

2.  Watch what you eat.  Well, I am a nutritionist!  Fresh produce cooked at home is the best way to eat.  That way you know exactly what's in it.  If you make this your base for food, then the odd "junk" meal will do no harm at all - when it really is once in a very long while!

3.  Keep sugar and refined carbohydrates to a minimum - or get rid of them completely!  Sugar is a drug and refined carbs have no nutritional value and just make us fat.  Now, I do understand that giving up sugar and carbs may seem impossible to you, so start off by limiting them to twice a week - not two whole days a week, just two meals a week.  Fruit contains sugar, but I do not advise giving up fruit - just eat the whole fruit and DON'T JUICE.

4.  Keep active.  I run, I cycle and I do yoga - that's me.  I'm lucky, I make my own schedule and am not stuck to a 9-5 office job.  The thought of sitting still drives me insane.  But if you hate running that's ok!  Find a sport that you like, and if you can do it with friends then even better.  But don't stop there.  We can be far more active than we realize.  Stand up as much as possible, even when you are at the office.  You need to stand up at least every 30 minutes, even if it's just for 1 minute.  Go and fill up your water bottle, take a brief walk or take the stairs instead of the elevator.  If you use public transport, get off 1 or 2 stops earlier and walk the rest of the way.  If you use a car, don't always park as close as possible to where you are going.  Just small adjustments like these are extremely beneficial.

5.  Have a yearly check-up with your doctor to control your glucose levels and blood pressure.  Blood pressure is a good indicator of overall health, and controlling your glucose levels is extremely important.  Developing type 2 diabetes can lead to a whole host of other health problems.

Just think, if you look after yourself and remain active, then once you hit retirement age you'll actually be healthy enough to enjoy yourself!  Remember, old age is also an attitude!

I can help you improve your health.  If you would like to make an appointment with me either in person or via Skype, just send me an email to lucycarr@socialnutrition.com

No comments:

Post a Comment