Thursday 28 April 2016

Run run run for you brain

I run... a lot... my family think I'm crazy.  But, I have always maintained that I run not because I'm trying to lose weight or keep it off, but I run for psychological reasons.  It calms me down, and I can cope with stress better.  It is also great "alone" time, when I get lost in my thoughts, come up with new ideas or solutions to problems.  I also don't listen to music when I run, I listen to audio books... a bit like killing two birds with one stone, I catch up on my reading while I work out.

Lots of runners will tell you that it is addictive, and to a certain extent it is.  The addiction is usually associated with the "feel good" feelings you get when endorphins are liberated during your workout.  But I believe it is a mix of everything.  You can tune in, tune out, push yourself harder - or not... it just makes you feel good and clears your head.  And now, this has been proved - scientifically!

Scientists have revealed that 30 - 40 minutes of vigorous aerobic exercise can make you feel much better, by creating new neurons and increasing blood flow to areas of the brain involved with learning and emotion.

It has taken about 30 years of neuroscience investigation to discover and identify a robust link between aerobic exercise and subsequent cognitive clarity.  They have also disproved the theory that as humans grow older they are unable to make new neurons.

Recent studies have found that after a run, new neurons are formed in the hippocampus, the area of the brain associated with learning and memory;
"If you are exercising so that you sweat - about 30 to 40 minutes - new brain cells are being born," said Karen Postal, president American Academy of Clinical Neuropsychology. "And it happens to be in that memory area."
Other studies have noted increased blood flow to the brain's frontal lobe which is implicated in clear
thinking, planning, focus and concentration.  But the frontal lobe is also associated with the regulation of emotions.  A Harvard University study found that "acute aerobic exercise did not prevent an increase in sadness response to a subsequent stressor, results suggest that it may help people to recover."

During the study the researchers showed an extract from the film The Champ - the final scene which is famous for its emotivity, to a group of 80 volunteers.  Before watching the extract, some of the participants were asked to jog for 30 minutes and the rest performed stretching exercises, also for 30 minutes.  After watching the movie they were given a survey to judge how sad the film made them feel, in the meantime the researchers kept the participants busy for a further 15 minutes, and then asked them how they were feeling again.

The participants who had done 30 minutes of jogging were less overwhelmed by their emotions and reported less sadness at the end of the study compared to those who had just done the stretching exercises.

But there is something else too.  I have often talked about MINDFULNESS and how unaware we are of what and how much we eat.  Well, the researchers have also found that another benefit of going for a long run is MINDLESSNESS.

Getting lost in your own thoughts or daydreaming is said to be important for individual wellbeing.

Positive constructive daydreaming serves four broad adaptive functions - according to Jerome Singer from Yale University.  It assists with future planning, which is increased by a period of self-reflection, creativity for problem solving, attentional cycling that permits you to rotate through different information and streams to advance personal goals and enhancing learning through short breaks from external tasks.

So, running isn't just the sweat, it's a lot more - it's also cheap.  However, having said that, if you are going to start running it is very important to invest in a very good pair of running shoes: Saucony, Asics, or Salomon if you are trail running.  This is very important, I found out the hard way after changing from trail running to pavement, I fractured a bone in my foot and was VERY surprised to discover that all the serious runners I know, my physiotherapist and chiropodist trashed Nike for running.  I'd always used Nike now I use Salomon or Saucony depending on the surface.

Good Luck!

I can help you improve your health.  If you would like to make an appointment with me either in person or via Skype, just send me an email to lucycarr@socialnutrition.com

No comments:

Post a Comment