Thursday 22 May 2014

Practicing what I preach

I have to say that on the whole I do practice what I preach.  I have been food combining correctly for the past 5 and a half years and it is working really well for me.  As I said in my post 2 weeks ago, I lost 10k in the first 2 month of doing the F.I.T Method and I have never regained it - thanks to food combining.

However, there have been other things I have recommended in my posts on here and books I have read about different things like juicing which I have not put into practice or have only dabbled in.

One of those things I have recommended in the past has been playing on my mind ever since I wrote about it, but I had never actually decided to put it into practice until last Friday.  A while back I wrote a post about how good coconut oil is for us and it's many many uses.  One of those uses was as a deodorant.  Yes!  Coconut oil can be used as a deodorant, if you haven't read the post then I strongly suggest you do as you might very well be surprised at just how beneficial coconut oil is for you.

Just to remind you...

The general health benefits of coconut oil are:
  • Promoting Heart Health
  • Supporting proper thyroid function
  • Promoting healthy brain function
  • Providing an excellent healthy fuel for the body which can also support a strong metabolism and aid in weight loss
  • Strengthening the immune system
  • Maintaining healthy and youthful looking skin
The deodorant aspect surprised me when I read about it, and I have been eager to try it ever since... I just didn't get round to mixing up a batch.  However, last Friday I finally decided that I had had enough of my brand of deodorant full of harmful chemicals and that I was going to mix up a batch of coconut oil deodorant.

Just to frighten you a bit; I used Dove Invisible Dry spray deodorant, here are some of the long list of ingredients:

Butane, Isobutane, Propane, Cyclopentasiloxane, Aluminium Chlorohydrate, PPG-14 Butyl Ether, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Parfum,...  and the list goes on and on....

There are many recipes on the Internet for coconut oil deodorant but they all seem to come down to a basic rule:

2 Tablespoons baking soda
2 Tablespoons arrow root
3 Tablespoons coconut oil
a few drops of your favourite essential oil - lavender for example but this is optional.

All you have to do is put all the ingredients into a jar with a proper lid and mix very well - I suggest using a fork as it can get lumpy.  If preferred you can gently heat the coconut oil, if solid, in a bowl over a saucepan of hot water before mixing with the arrow root and baking soda.  Then leave to cool and thicken.

Then just apply a small amount to each armpit after a shower.  One post on the Internet that I read stated that things can get smelly at first as your body begins to expel all that aluminum and other chemicals from your previous deodorant, so I have to admit I expected the worst.  However, I have been using this since Friday and I even went running and I have to say I was really amazed that I haven't had any problems - smelly or otherwise from the change from a commercial deodorant to the coconut oil deodorant.  The fact that I am no longer applying horrendous chemicals to sensitive areas of my body makes me feel very happy.

I have also started using coconut oil as a moisturiser.  I have very dry skin and constantly apply moisturiser especially to my legs.  Usually having to do this first of all after a shower so that the cream can be absorbed before getting dressed.  Or having the unpleasant consequence of sticky skin and clothes sticking to my legs.  Coconut oil is absorbed quickly, and contrary to what you might think does not leave an oily sensation on the skin, but just leaves the skin soft and hydrated.

Another "thing" I am dying to try and will be starting tomorrow is oil pulling with coconut oil.  What is oil pulling?  This is the strange practice of swishing coconut oil around your mouth as you would mouthwash for 20 minutes.  Most recommend doing this while you have your morning shower, but remember DO NOT SWALLOW any of the coconut oil and spit it out into the trash - not down the drain!

Here are the reported benefits of oil pulling with coconut oil:

  • Whiter teeth
  • Prevention of cavities and gingivitis
  • Better breath
  • Stronger teeth and gums
  • Improvement in sleep problems and sinus problems
  • Improvement of headaches, hangovers and skin problems (including acne, psoriasis and eczema)
Apparently it takes some getting used to.  It helps detoxify and gets rid of fungus and unwanted bacteria... this is the main reason why you can't swallow it and the reason why you have to spit it out into the trash is because it will solidify when you spit it down the drain and cause blockages.

I will keep you informed of how I get on, so far the coconut oil is winning against more expensive and harmful products such as commercial deodorant and moisturizers.

Let me know how you get on if you decide to try any of these - I'd like to know how it goes!

I'd just like to remind you just what the F.I.T Method can do for you:
  • More energy
  • Better quality of sleep
  • INSTANT WEIGHT LOSS
  • Better digestive function on all levels.
  • Scientific method
  • Immediate guaranteed results
  • Improvement in general health
  • Personalized method


  • I can help you improve your health.  If you would like to make an appointment with me either in person or via Skype, just send me an email to lucycarr@socialnutrition.com

No comments:

Post a Comment